Monday 22 June 2015

JB Makan Review - Hiap Joo Bakery & Biscuit Factory



I love any traditional bakes, and it makes my heart flutter in happiness whenever I see any old-school bakery. 
I heard of this famous old-school bakery before, selling bread and the ever so popular banana cake, but I just didn't really put my heart into looking for it. So this fateful day, after having lunch at Restoran Ya Wang, I went looking for the way back to our hotel, and drove pass this "chinatown-looking" lane that is named after a chinese man/woman with the surname "Tan".


Round the corner, there was a long queue of about 20 crazy humans under the blazing sun, and there was no way I could see what they were queuing for. I didn't want to find another parking lot (which is rather impossible there to be honest), so we made a passing remark and drove off towards the jam.

When I checked into our hotel - DoubleTree by Hilton, I was making use of the free wifi and randomly searching for where else I could explore nearby the hotel. And I saw reviews about this famous banana cake again, and to my utter surprise, the address of the bakery is at 13 Jln Tan Hiok Nee, JB. 

I thought to myself, "Don't tell me it's that queue!" and I went ahead to google map the address, and IT REALLY IS! 
Now I have to make another trip down to get it. This must be fate playing a trick on me. 
I HAVE TO GET IT!

And i did:

I went there the next day after I checked out at 11am, and bought almost every kind of bread that was available, way more than I fit into my larger than average tummy.

It was piping hot, and they just packed it into the most humble looking plastic bag, nothing fancy. Perhaps I bought too much, and everything got squeezed into a mess, thus I didn't bother to take pictures.

I risked burning my tongue and went for the otak one, and it was indeed amazing. The bread was moist and had a hint of smoked flavour from the wood-fire oven. Even though it was all squished and I couldn't use the description fluffy on it, it was still soft and comforting. The ratio of the filling was just right, and there was not too much of bread or filling.

Verdict: 4/5


I also bought way too many boxes of banana cake (RM9.60 for a box of 10), oh my love for banana cake! I had to wait about 15mins for a new batch, and I was most willing to, I can wait for as long as I can for freshly baked cake.


The smell was too overwhelming and I burned my fingers trying to pinch a piece off to eat it. The cake was the moistest of all cake I have eaten, so soft yet still has a slight spongy texture, it was baked to perfection. The aroma of fresh bananas was so satisfying, it was nothing like artificial banana flavouring (which gives me a headache)
The cake was not too sweet, and i guarantee you can keep going for it. 
It is addictive. 


I am craving for a slice (no, I want a box of it) now as I am typing this post.

Verdict: 100000/5

I need this in my life and will definitely go back for the banana cake.



No comments:

Post a Comment