Wednesday 3 June 2015

Why you should have a staycation at DoubleTree by Hilton, Johor Bahru

I had to work, and couldn't fully enjoy the precious Vesak Day long weekend, so I was thinking of what I could do to make up to myself. I was tired physically and mentally and things like an expensive dinner, or retail therapy didn't seem to excite me. So I took a day off on Tuesday, so I can attempt to cheat myself that I still had a proper weekend.

I wanted to get out of Singapore, and a 1-night staycation at JB seems easy to carry out. 
The weak ringgit meant I could afford a good hotel I perhaps wouldn't pay for elsewhere and while I scrolled around Agoda.com, DoubleTree by Hilton looked perfect to me.
So i booked the "King One Bedroom Suite with Lounge Access" online, paid less than SGD$300, packed one set of clothes, my bikini, and off for a quick escape I went.

The location of the hotel was in a part of JB I have yet to explore, and I had my far share of missed turns before I arrived safe and sound. Of course, the incompetent GPS played a part too.

DoubleTree by Hilton Johor Bahru welcomed me with a warm cookie upon check-in and it made my day. 
I was sure I smiled while I held the nutty chocolate chip cookie. At least the excessive drive was worth it.


The 64sqm suite was larger than I expected, and provided me with more than enough space for a one-night getaway. The bedroom had a huge L-shaped window, and I was pleased with the sunlight seeping through. 


The bathroom was bright and clean, had a walk-in rain-shower and a bathtub is always welcomed. Hot bubble baths are compulsory for urgent staycations like this.

Spotted a weighing scale beneath the sink, and with all the JB delicacies in my tummy, I was certain I made the right choice to ignore it.


Plenty of room in the living area


This particular room type also allowed access to the Executive Lounge. Located on the 29th floor, open from 6am to 10pm (Mon-Fri) and 7am to 10pm (Sat-Sun), I could enjoy these exclusive services in the Executive Lounge:

  • Complimentary breakfast 
  • Cocktails and Canapes served every evening from 6pm to 8pm 
  • Afternoon Tea served from 4pm to 6pm (Sat-Sun & PH only)
  • Coffee, tea and soft drinks served throughout the day
  • Business Centre facilities and private workstation available
Of course, smart casual attire is required when visiting the Executive Lounge. I wasn't prepared to go for a ball or business meeting and all I had was flip flops. So I gave it a miss.


Cause who doesn't like breakfast in bed?




Hits: 
Love the room, the view, the space and warm service
Love that the hotel is conveniently located near popular JB makan places such as Restoran Ya Wang and Hiap Joo Bakery.

Misses: 
In-Room wired internet worked for my laptop. But I couldn't get the in-room wifi to work on my mobile device. Public wifi in the lobby didn't work on my mobile too. Maybe it knew I needed this "disconnection" and automatically repelled my Samsung S6.


Overall experience: 4/5


Will definitely look forward to a longer stay in the near future to enjoy more facilities I didn't get to enjoy.

Note to self: Try, at least try to ignore the cheap and good JB food, so that I can dine in one of the many good-looking restaurants in the hotel. The image of the italian pasta dish looping on the TV screen in the hotel lift was calling out to me, but I really had no space left in my tummy. 





No comments:

Post a Comment