Sunday 5 July 2015

SG Food Review - Pick Me Up Cafe @ Parkland, East Coast Park


Once upon a sweaty day after a walk at East Coast Park, I dropped by the newly opened area to grab something to prevent a serious heatstroke, and stumbled upon this cafe whose ice cream fridge attracted my attention.

The waffles with ice-cream and cold-pressed juice (S$8.90) left me with a pleasant impression, and I am determined to return for their savoury items.

So I returned another day after a long day at work, thinking I could do with some comfort food. I ordered the Smoked Salmon Eggs Benedict on waffles (S$16.90) which is described as norwegian smoked salmon, perfectly poached eggs, bonito flakes, hollandaise and rocket on a savoury miso waffle. 


The plate that I got didn't look anything like the picture on their billboard menu, and all I could see was an unappetizing pile of brown mess. I wanted to break the yolk of my "perfectly" poached egg so I diligently removed the mess of bonito flakes and smoked salmon above it to find the eggs "perfectly" cooked. It was almost a hard-boiled egg.

The waffles was also soggy not only in the middle where the hollandaise moistened it, but also around the sides where technically if it is slightly over browned, there should be a perfect crust when I cut into it, no?
It was perfectly crisp when I had it previously with ice-cream, why is it soggy now?

Verdict: 2/5


We also had their new item out of their usual menu - handmade pizza with roast duck (S$19.90). 
The name is wrong, as it's just smoked ducked slices on top of what taste to me like frozen pizza dough we get from NTUC. There was way more uncooked sliced onion to duck, and all I could get out of it was bad breath. 


The rocket was I guess a healthy touch, but didn't do anything to the dish.


Verdict: 1.5/5


To try to salvage the disappointment, I decided to have double cup of icecream (S$7.50) since I had their ice-cream before and it was pretty good. But to my horror they didn't have the flavor I had previously - Pistachio, so I chose Snickers and Manuka Honeycomb Nougat. 


The snickers tasted like chocolate, just milk chocolate, I didn't get the caramel and peanut taste a bar of snickers should rightfully have. The manuka honeycomb nougat was ironically just like vanilla. Where is the manuka, and honeycomb and nougat? It was not even sweet.

Verdict: 1/5


Overall verdict: 1.2/5

I am not sure if it was the dying thirst that made me enjoyed my first visit, or was it the long day at work that made everything I tasted bad. I was so disappointed I went home and cooked myself a packet of instant noodles with egg. 



No comments:

Post a Comment