Friday 10 July 2015

What to eat in Bangkok (BKK) - Nara Thai Cuisine, Central World

Singaporeans crave about this restaurant, both in Singapore and Bangkok, and when I was there, at least 80% of the diners were Singaporeans, the rest other foreigners. I arrived early at 11:30am and got a seat immediately. However, by 12 noon, a queue started to form and the electronic queue system was already in use.

The decor was beautiful, and it is not always I would choose to have Thai fine dining. But I was genuinely impressed with the ambiance (before the crowd flooded in)

To be honest, I didn't find the food fantastic to the extent of "die-die-must-eat" when you visit Bangkok, I usually fill my tummies with street food, but I wouldn't say that it was bad. It was hmmm pretty good.

Tord Man Kung Prawn Cakes (260 baht)
The prawn cakes were very different when compared to those I had in Singapore. The prawn cakes at Nara had a higher content of minced prawn, whereas those we have in Singapore is more like a prawn paste. The thai chili sauce served alongside it was overly sweet, without any trace of chili, most likely adjusted to suit the international palate.

Verdict: 3/5


Poa Pia Nara - Crispy Spring Rolls (130 baht)
The thin sticks of "fried popiah" was so pretty, but we could barely taste the filling of pork and vegetables. But presentation gets full marks.

Verdict: 3/5


Tom Yum Kung Maenum (370 baht)
Much more expensive than what we get at other places, the tomyum was not the best I had but acceptable. The prawns were larger than the usual versions, and fresh, thus we didn't feel the pinch. 

Verdict: 3.2/5


Phad Thai Kai Krob (210 baht)
The upgraded version of all phad thais, I love the bits of fried egg scattered on top - it added the perfect aroma to the otherwise common dish. The sauce perfectly coated every strand of noodle and ingredient, and it was one of the best blends - not too sweet, not too sour. Trust me, I had phad thais that tasted like dessert, and it is not pleasant. This version, I love.

Verdict: 4.5/5


Overall experience: 3.8/5

I had a good experience at Nara Thai Cuisine, and it was a pleasant one trying out thai dishes in a sophisticated setting. The price was actually acceptable in Singapore standards, money very well spent. But, if you ask me if I would return (and have to queue to get a table), I might just settle with the equally good quality food I get at the street stalls outside Central World. 
If there is no queue, and I am feeling fancy, I might succumb :)



No comments:

Post a Comment